Home Panama Info Panama FAQ

FAQ on Panama

E-mail Print PDF


Q: Is it customary to tip in Panama?

A: Yes, and people generally tip 10% of the bill or check for waiters, guides, etc., If the service is good.

Q: Can foreigners drive in Panama?

A: Yes, foreigners are allowed to drive in Panama with a valid foreign drivers license for a period of up to 90 days. However, when it comes to driving in Panama City, we recommend against it. The city is difficult to navigate as it is not on a grid system, and the traffic is very congested.

Q: Is there public transportation in Panama City?

A: Yes, there are taxis and buses. HOWEVER, the buses, known as the Diablos Rojos (Red Devils), are privately owned and operated old US school buses with no airconditioning, no shocks, and no frills. We do not recommend these unless you are  really looking for an adventure. Taxis are a great inexpensive alternative, costing usually around one to two dollars a ride. The fare goes up to go to places further out, like to the canal, to about six dollars.

Q: What will the weather be like?

A: It will be warm! It is usually around 87° Fahrenheit. The rainy season (winter) is from April through November. It generally rains every day during the rainy season, but only for short periods, maybe an hour or so. It is not gray and rainy all day. During the dry season (summer), which is December through March, it is the same temperature, but generally no rain.

Q: Is Panama safe?
A: Panama is one of the safest countries in Latin America, and probably the world, particularly in the interior of the country. However, like any other part of the world, there are places you better avoid.

Q: Do I need a visa to travel to Panama?
A: In most cases a tourist card is sufficient and they can be bought before boarding the plane at the airline ticket counter or at the Immigration Office at the Airport in Panama after you have arrived.

Q: Will I Require Inoculations to Travel?

A: As we are not medical doctors, we are not qualified to give medical advice regarding immunizations necessary for specific destinations. We suggest that you visit the website of The Center for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov. Their site is current highlighting all required inoculations worldwide.

Q: Do you recommend Trip Cancellation and Medical Insurance?

A: Out-of-country medical insurance is mandatory on all of our adventures. Adventure Tours Panama is neither liable nor responsible for the cost of medical treatment of any kind. We highly recommend travel insurance that includes trip cancellation, repatriation and emergency legal and medical needs. It is inexpensive, easy to get and well worth the expense.

Q: Where should I go to study Spanish?

A: Spanish Panama, located in El Cangrejo, ½ a block east of Via Argentina. Go to the restaurant Manolo and head east. They have one-on-one classes for students of any level and you can try a selection of instructors until you find the one you like. The classes generally cost about $10/hour if you sign up for a package of a minimum number of hours.

  • USA Tel: (310) 341-2511
  • Panama Tel: (507) 6496-1833
  • Email: info@adventuretourspanama.com
    Skype ID: MaxMapache (please include details in contact request)